Friday, July 07, 2006

JRuby Interview Leftovers — Ruby Books

Since articles on the O'Reilly Ruby Blog are supposed to fit in a certain length, there are always a couple of choice bits that need to be trimmed. I'm finishing up an interview with Charles Nutter and Thomas Enebo, the developers of JRuby, and have a couple of pieces to post here. Enjoy!


Thomas mentioned that after seeing a Perl script ported to Ruby he was intrigued enough to go out and buy the Pragmatic Programmers' Pickaxe book. That got me thinking.

I wonder how many people come into Ruby through Dave's book. What other books would you guys recommend to someone who's just getting into Ruby?

Charles: I actually haven't had time to read many others. I've just started working through Agile Web Development with Rails, and it's very good. Tom and I also offered comments and suggestions to Bruce Tate for his From Java to Ruby book, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Thomas: I have not read any Ruby book other than Agile Web Development with Rails. A good and well-written book. Probably not a book for learning Ruby though. I bought both editions of Pickaxe and have never found a need to buy another Ruby book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David A. Black's - Ruby for Rails is outstanding. It is mainly on Ruby but with a focus on explaining Rails.